JTNN Online

• April 5There are only eight slots remaining in the Mission Drive Day Bocce tournament

• April 5Mission Drive collection is in homeroom tomorrow 4/6/17

• April 5Prom tickets remain on sale until Thursday 4/6/17

SUPER MARIO RUN REVIEW

Dylan Field, Staff Writer

When I was younger, I never thought I’d be 18 years old and still playing a Mario game. Last December, though, Nintendo released its first app featuring the beloved Italian plumber and (of course) I had to buy and test it out myself. Super Mario Run is an iOS exclusive app- coming soon to Android- that allows the player to automatically run forward and collect coins in the Mushroom Kingdom. The game is fairly easy and most people who downloaded it stopped after the free trial but there’s actually so much more to it and it’s fun!

The game has two different modes: World Tour and Toad Rally. Tour is the typical story mode where Bowser steals the beautiful Princess Peach and Mario must save the damsel in distress. There’s six different Worlds and four levels in each World. The app comes with the first three levels for free and the rest of the levels cost $9.99. The game shouldn’t be ten dollars in my opinion but it can’t be played well without the purchase. Tour mode is fairly easy, especially in the beginning, and I think most people got bored or dissuaded from the game because of that. But Tour mode becomes more fun and challenging through the pink, purple, and black coins. Each level has five pink coins hidden in the map and if the player gets them all he can move onto harder-to-get purple coins and then the really difficult black coins. I’ve gotten all the pink and purple coins and I only have six more levels to beat to get all the black coins!

The other game mode in Super Mario Run is Toad Rally. Using Toad Rally tickets you can play one level that someone else has already played. The objective of the game is to get the most coins and toads, which the player gets by jumping on enemies or doing cool jumps. The winner of the round gets to keep both the winner and loser’s toads. The mode is really fun and extremely addictive (I currently have 3477 toads). You can use your toads to buy different decorations or buildings for your kingdom (another feature of the game) or different characters to play as. Yoshi and Peach are my favorite characters and they’re the best to hover when holding down on the screen. You can play Toad Rally without buying the game, but there are significantly fewer levels and you can’t get different kinds (colors) of toads. An improvement Nintendo should make with Toad Rally is the multiplayer aspect. You can play your friends, but not at the same time. This feature would be really fun and definitely bring in more crowds to the app.

There’s so much more to Super Mario Run than its simple gameplay. It’s an interactive and fun app that inexperienced- or pro-Mario-players can enjoy. There’s a lot to the game with its story mode, Toad Rally, and different challenges throughout Tour that can have the player (Super Mario) running for hours!