The Grand Tour Review

January 19, 2017

Remember those three guys who ran a car show on the BBC which eventually became the most-watched factual show in the world? And despite their successful 22 season run, the show was canceled because one of their hosts punched a producer in the face?

Well, in case you’re not aware, Jeremy Clarkson, James May, and Richard Hammond are back in the new Amazon Prime TV series, The Grand Tour. 

After Clarkson was fired from the BBC for his typical antics, he soon was faced with multiple offers to start a new car show. Amazon coughed up a hefty offer of $250 million to license the show for three seasons, according to Forbes. After recruiting his fellow co-hosts, the show began filming for the current season.

The Grand Tour is strikingly similar to the trio’s old show, Top Gear, but is fueled by an even larger budget, takes place in a different city every episode, and is filmed from inside a tent opposed to their old fixed studio. So, if you haven’t seen an episode yet but are familiar with the old show, imagine the exact same thing but include updated cars, better graphics, and a different setting for every episode.

Yes, the trio is back and putting on an even better show.

From the start, The Grand Tour showed what sets it apart from the trio’s old show. The first episode featured a showdown of the futuristic hyper-cars: the McLaren P1, Ferrari LaFerrari, and Porsche 918. Top Gear couldn’t get all three car manufacturers to agree to a piece featuring all three cars, but in The Grand Tour, they were able to test all three at the same track in Portugal. After waiting months to see this special finally air, coupled with the added enhancements of a newer show, The Grand Tour set the bar high for the next episodes.

Car reviews for automobiles that only a few people can afford aren’t the only things covered on the show. The Grand Tour shows the trio’s adventures including building their own cars, reviewing all kinds of automobiles, showcasing fascinating vehicles, and anything else they find interesting. It’s hard to fit the show into one category; each episode includes bits of information, comedy, drama, storytelling, and adventure. The chemistry between the three is undeniable and is also what separates this from any other car show.

If you have an Amazon Prime account and haven’t already seen The Grand Tour, it’s definitely a must-watch even if you aren’t that interested in cars. If you don’t have an account, the addition of The Grand Tour to Amazon’s program lineup is a big reason to consider investing in one – it’s that entertaining.

The three journalists who created the world’s largest car show are back and better than ever. If you’re looking for a laugh and some different entertainment, The Grand Tour is for you.