JTNN Online

• April 5There are only eight slots remaining in the Mission Drive Day Bocce tournament

• April 5Mission Drive collection is in homeroom tomorrow 4/6/17

• April 5Prom tickets remain on sale until Thursday 4/6/17

Wrestling the new year 2017

Noah Armenia, Staff Writer

Under new head coach Sal Basile, the wrestling team looks to uphold the legacy set by the previous year’s accomplishments under the coaching of Mike Scicchitano ’01. Three Tigers have claimed State titles in the last two years. With the loss of Champions Austin Underwood ’14, Adam Lewis ’16 the team looks to live up to the precedent. Jesuit wrestling emerged as one of the toughest, best performing, top programs in the state of Florida, can the new team live up to the reputation?

Jesuit has already participated in ten events since the Preseason Classic back in November. It’s most recent event, the Clay Rotary Classic, taking place at Clay High School took place last weekend on the 5th of February- the 6th. Their next event will take place on February 18th, it will be the district tournament. The exact time of the event is to be determined but it will take place at Jesuit Highschool.

With the season coming to a close, most of the wrestlers have been accustomed to the harsh workouts and conditioning the wrestling program undergoes. According to senior Jackson Masters, “It’s tougher than any football conditioning session.” The amount of work these individuals put in and a number of sacrifices they make are incredible. Speaking with wrestlers, I’ve learned they give up most of their time to either workout or practice. Their dedication is unmatched. Injuries, skin diseases, eating disorders, these are all things wrestlers are willing to face in order to better improve their skills and win a championship.

Wrestling practice is harder than any football conditioning”

— Jackson Masters '17

Wrestling is definitely a sport overlooked by audiences. Blue tide presence for football, basketball, and baseball make those sports seem the most important to the school body. However, the wrestlers, in my opinion, work the hardest out of any other sport. They deserve support that the other sports may take for granted. Due to the incredible talent and potential the wrestlers have, I believe they will make it past districts and to the Region tournament on February 24th and 25th. This will be an especially important day for these young men and I urge that the student body show them the support these tigers have worked so hard for.

As for anyone who is thinking about trying it next year. No matter how big or small, underweight or overweight, athletic or intelligent, all you have to do is be able to put in the work and you can do it. That’s what I’ve heard at least.