JTNN Online

• April 5There are only eight slots remaining in the Mission Drive Day Bocce tournament

• April 5Mission Drive collection is in homeroom tomorrow 4/6/17

• April 5Prom tickets remain on sale until Thursday 4/6/17

Public Land

Jack Fahey, Editor

America has a very unique and beautiful way of handling land. Throughout the country there are millions of acres of land that are open for public use and enjoyment, as well as serving as home to countless species of wildlife. The open land is utilized for hiking, camping, cycling, exploring or even in some cases hunting. This land is not just free to use but is also protected and preserved by the government. In recent weeks, a new piece of legislation surfaced, proposing to sell over 3 million acres of such public land. House Bill 621 was proposed by Republican House Representative, Jason Chaffetz, who contends that these vast lands, which are maintained by the Bureau of Land Management, serve no purpose to taxpayers. With outcries from environmentalists and outdoor enthusiasts, Chaffetz withdrew the bill, saying that he too is an outdoorsman with an appreciation for public land.

Despite the scuffle over the proposed bill, Chaffetz still intends to pursue another bill, HR 622, which is the Local Enforcement for Local Lands Act. The bill would put local law enforcement agencies in charge of protecting those lands, rather than the Bureau of Land Management, (or BLM as it is referred to), or the United States Forest Service, which are the agencies that are currently responsible for law enforcement of the millions of acres of land. With this bill, Chaffetz wants to put local law enforcement in charge of the land, rather than federal agencies. Yet many oppose the notion that law enforcement for the public land should lie with local sheriffs. The bill has not yet come up for a vote.

Land transfer and land management has certainly been the cause of many battles throughout history. Yet land always seems to be worth fighting for. The vast open and protected land in our country is one of the many things that make it great. As was intended from the beginning of this great country’s conception, this land is truly OUR land; land that belongs to the people. We really need to think long and hard before we would consider any measure that would in any way jeopardize our treasured public lands.