Kong: Skull Island Review

April 6, 2017

Its 1933, New York City. The sun has just gone down and the rain is coming down hard. A man and his wife complain loudly outside the movies, “I had to pay $20 for these tickets, let me see the movie!” In 1933, $10 per ticket was a lot of money, especially when you could go see the Yankees play for just .35 cents. Why would someone spend so much money just to see a movie? Because, what else are you supposed to do in 1933 New York? Maybe climb up the Empire State Building? Nah, we can save that for the monkeys. Fast forward to 2005, when Peter Jackson was getting ready to release his newest work, King Kong. This wasn’t the first King Kong movie ever, and it certainly wasn’t the best. The numbers don’t lie. In modern money, the original King Kong outperformed the 2005 version by a long shot. But what about 2017? Recently Jordan Vogt-Roberts released his adaptation of King Kong. His title? Kong: Skull Island. The movie hosts a star cast consisting of: Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, Samuel L. Jackson, John Goodman, and John C. Reilly. While the movie underperformed in domestic box office, it took off internationally, raking in almost 500 million across the globe. After the movie being remade so many times, how does it still do so good in box office?

Because, every time, it is such a good movie. This years King Kong was no different. The cinematography in the movie is beautiful, all the shots are extremely well put together. The same goes for the dialogue in the movie. But there are two major things that make this movie different than the old Kong movies. His size and the movies plot. King kong is bigger than ever before in this movie, towering at an insane 100 feet tall. Besides his height, this movies plot is a little different than the traditional King Kong movie. This time around, the U.S. is bombing his island trying to “map the earth” and it is disturbing the monsters living underneath. The movie is a constant battle between the crazed hatred of Kong from Samuel L. Jackson, and the compassion of Tom Hiddleston and Brie Larson. Overall, I think the size difference and plot difference are extremely nice changes of pace from traditional Kong movies and it has me excited for what is to come.