JTNN Online

Do Jesuit Students Get Enough Sleep?

At Jesuit, it is an all too well-known fact that students don’t get enough sleep. The average teenager receives a mere six to seven hours of sleep per night, well below what they should be receiving. This lack of sleep can be attributed to early school starting times, along with numerous extracurricular activities that the individual teen may take part in. According to Nationwide Children’s, some schools begin as early as 7 a.m. making students wake up at 5 a.m. in order to get ready and travel to school. Then, following school, these students participate in clubs, sports practices, and socializing, making for an even later bedtime.

Studies have proven that teenagers should receive nine hours of sleep per night, well above the measly six to seven hours that most teens current get.  Some of the negative effects of not getting enough sleep include: irritability and crankiness, driving fast, partaking in harmful activities, and decreasing grades.  An important time for getting more sleep is to maintain a steady sleep schedule We all enjoy being able to sleep in till 2 p.m. on the weekends, but this makes it incredibly hard to fall back into the school routine of waking up and going to bed early. It is still alright to sleep in a couple hours and enjoy some well-deserved rest, but do it in moderation. Instead of sleeping in until 2 in the afternoon, only sleep in until 9 a.m.  This way you still get an extra 3 to 4 hours of sleep, but you don’t waste away the day.

According to the National Sleep Foundation, when teens go through puberty their biological clock shifts 2 hours later, often making it hard to fall asleep before 11 at night. One of their studies showed that on average only 15% of teens receive 8 ½ hours of sleep during school. Now that technology such as TV and cell phones are so readily available to teens, they tend to stay up texting friends or on social media when they should be sleeping. The best answer for this issue is to pick a certain time to turn off and unplug from all of this entertainment so that you have time to unwind before going to sleep. The worst thing a teen can do is lay in bed on their phone. This causes the brain to become more active and alert while you are trying to do the exact opposite in order to fall asleep. In an effort to help teens to be able to continue to use their phones before bed, apple launched a new setting call Night Shift. This removes a large portion of blue light from the screen, allowing the brain and eyes to relax more easily. Bright blue light plays tricks on the brain inhibiting the release of melatonin, a chemical that helps you fall asleep. Teens already have a delayed release of this chemical, already making for late nights. The last thing needed is an even longer delay. It is essential for teenagers to follow these few simple rules  because teens have their own special sleep patterns, different from both children and adults.

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.