JTNN Online

District One-Act Festival

Noah Armenia, Staff Writer

Last Friday, December 1, was the District One Act festival for thespian competition. Nine Jesuit masque club members traveled to USF to perform a One-Act version of the Shakespearean play “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead”. The thespian troupe lead by Mr. Ricard Miller had less than two weeks to prepare this incredibly complicated play. Running short on time to prepare, the young thespians were faced with an incredible challenge. The performance at the competition reflected the true hardship of this task. “If it wasn’t for seniors Lucas Pasquier’s and Noah Armenia’s attempts to make the show go on, we would’ve been in so much trouble.” -Richard Miller. Lucas, being a very experienced theater actor, recognized the struggle the other characters were facing and entered to switch the scene. Noah Armenia, a relatively new theater actor, attempted to follow in his footsteps and did the same. Expecting the worst, the cast and crew felt defeated. “We just didn’t have enough time to prepare a show like this….” -Miles Almadrones ’17.

“If it wasn’t for seniors Lucas Pasquier’s and Noah Armenia’s attempts to make the show go on, we would’ve been in so much trouble.””

— Richard Miller

Normally, a Shakespearean play would take double the time to prepare than that of a modern play. Actors have to know their lines word for word due to the “old English” vocabulary and sentence structure. If an actor was to forget his line, it would be very hard for them to improvise because a sentence in modern day structure would throw off the tone and flow of the show. Schools like Tampa Catholic, Strawberry Crest, Steinbrenner, and much more were impressed with such a valiant attempt. By the end of the day, the performance was rated “Good” which was better than expected. The Masque will be featuring the full production in the Spring with A LOT more time to prepare. This will be the first Shakespearean production Mr. Miller will be directing in the Jesuit theater.