JTNN Online

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Jesuit’s Track Program is Off To The Races

For the last few months, Jesuit’s Track and Field Team has been meeting for voluntary conditioning. But last Tuesday, January 17th, they held their official first practice of the season. Jesuit’s Track Team had dominated their district for the last 16 years, winning every district title but one. However, last year Jesuit Track faced a huge challenge, reclassification. Jesuit Track competed in the 3A class. This move up in classifications marked a change in the quid pro quo of track meets. In this new district, Jesuit Track faces another athletic powerhouse, Hillsborough High School. Hillsborough High School has a superb Track and Field Program. Going into the district meet Jesuit knew that there was a good chance that they might not win by huge margins like they had in previous years. If it wasn’t for stand out performance by athletes Omar Dibba, John Robbins, and others, they might not have won by the hairline margin they did.

Going into this track season the track coaching staff, headed by Coach Andy Wood, knew that they needed to better train their athletes in order to avoid revenge at the hands of Hillsborough. For this, Coach Wood looked to other Jesuit sports teams from help. Coach Wood has adopted a strategy utilized by the Jesuit Swim team. Coach Wood will have two teams that have their own practice schedule. These two teams will be divided into a development team and a competitive team.

The development team will consist of those who are new to Track and Field. They will train only certain days of the week but will compete in all home track meets. The competitive team will consist of athletes who have been with the team for a while or of those athletes who travel to extra meets and most likely districts. This team will meet every day in order to allow the coaches to give them the focus to improve themselves.

Coach Wood was not available for comment, however, is optimistic about the season. The Jesuit Track Team will be looking to a few key seniors and juniors to lead the way for Jesuit in its second year in Class 3A.

Travell Harris is one of the many seniors who will be taking a leading role on the track team. Harris, who plays football in the fall, holds the school record for the 100-meter dash. Harris is one of a few athlete last year who made it to the Regional Track Meet. For distance running Jesuit can certainly expect John Robins and Micheal Delano to score big points this year in the 1-mile and 2-mile.

With a new practice layout and a core group of senior leaders, Jesuit’s Track program is in line to repeat it victory in the District Meet.