Soccer Teams Attends MAST Tournament

January 19, 2017

The Montverde Academy Soccer Tournament (MAST) is one of the most prestigious soccer tournaments in the country. Top teams from around the country come to Clermont, Florida, just to get a chance to beat the 6x reigning champion, Montverde Academy. Jesuit High School, having been ranked #42 in the nation, was honored to have received an invitation to compete in the tournament. The Jesuit soccer team faced hard competition in their three-day schedule.

They first faced Woodlands High School from Woodlands, TX, 8th in the nation, on Thursday, Jan. 12, and battled throughout the entire 90 minutes, finishing the game with a score of 0-0. The game was ultimately decided, though, by a penalty kick out. With the penalty kick out ending 4-2, Jesuit High School tragically lost the hard-fought game.

Despite the loss, the Jesuit Tigers bounced back the next day clinching a solid win against Pembroke Pines Charter High School from Pembroke, FL with a score of 2-1. Royce Pope ’17 scored the last minute goal to give Jesuit the much-needed lead over a mostly 1-1 game. Zach Board ’20 also scored in the first half of the game.

On Saturday, Jesuit faced #48 Gulliver Prep from Miami, FL. Having played two highly intense games, the Tigers were tired out and lost the game by a score of 4-2. Connor Stuart ’19 and Royce Pope ’17 scored a goal each. The soccer team ended the tournament finishing at 6th place. Even though the Jesuit Tigers did not perform as well as they might have expected, the team was proud of their performance against so great a competition.

When questioned about the tournament, Justin Raab ’17, defenseman, commented: “I thought we played really well. We played some really good teams. Even though we only won one game, I think we showed that we can compete with the best competition in the country. ” Spencer Wallace ’17 also said: “I think it was a good experience to play in such a prestigious tournament. We played the best we have played all year against the best teams we’ve played all year. ”

The added experience must’ve been a good thing for the Jesuit soccer team. On Tuesday, January 17th, the soccer team faced #12 in the nation and #2 in the state of FL. team, Lakewood Ranch. The Tigers pushed an upset, ending up on the winning side of the high-scoring game. The Tigers scored 4 goals, two coming from freshman Lucas Gobea. Senior Royce Pope and junior Noah Kurtz scored a goal as well. Drew Kamaris ’17 gave an assist and Royce Pope gave two more.

The Tigers are preparing for the tough road to States. Next week begins the District tournament play. The Tigers are the number one seed and are looking to dominate the competition and continue onto Regions.