JTNN Online

Super Bowl LI Preview

Miles Almadrones, Staff Writer

Super Bowl LI is set to kick off this Sunday, February 5 at 6:30 PM at NRG Stadium in Houston, Texas. Here’s everything you need to know.

The rising Atlanta Falcons are set to take on the experienced New England Patriots in a game that’s expected to be a thriller for all 60 minutes played. This is Atlanta’s first Super Bowl since 1999 when they played the Denver Broncos which resulted in a loss. Atlanta is hoping for their first title this Sunday.

On the contrary, New England is playing in their ninth Super Bowl with an all-time record of 4-4 in the winner-takes-all matchup. This is their third Super Bowl appearance in the past nine years.

Atlanta features MVP frontrunner, QB Matt Ryan. Ryan has had a historical season playing under center, throwing for 4,944 yards, 38 TDs compared to just 7 INTs. He’s led the NFL’s deadliest offense in the regular season, placing first in points per game and averaging 39.0 points in their past six games. Ryan is supported by elite WR Julio Jones (1409 rec. yards, 6 TDs) and dynamic RB Devonta Freeman (1079 rush yards, 3.9 AVG, 11 TDs). Other standout players on offense include WR Mohamed Sanu, RB Tevin Coleman, and WR Taylor Gabriel.

The Falcons offense is undoubtedly the team’s biggest strength, for it features plenty of talent, speed, and depth. Ryan has silenced his postseason doubts with incredible performances in his last two outings, throwing for 7 TDs and 0 INTs. This coupled with a more than capable running and catching game, the Falcons are sure to give the Patriots #1 defense plenty to worry about.

The defense that’s allowed the fewest points per game is what makes the Patriots’ team as a whole a more well-rounded unit. Not only do they have a far superior defense, but they also have a comparable offense, especially with the future Hall of Famer Tom Brady who boasts three Super Bowl MVP awards. Brady was suspended for the first four games of the season due to the Deflategate scandal, but despite his absence, he is still arguably one of the league’s best QBs, throwing for 3554 yards, 28 TDs, and only 2 INTs, yes, 2. Julian Edelman (1106 rec. yards, 3 TDs) is currently Brady’s #1 receiver, while LeGarrette Blount (1161 rush yards, 3.9 AVG, 18 TDs) will carry a majority of the handoffs. Both players are more than capable of providing Brady with outlets to get on the board but lack the elite status owned by the Falcon’s offensive superstars. Look out for Patriots’ CB Malcolm Butler who’s a steady defender and has 4 INTs this season, and DE Trey Flowers who leads the team with 7.0 sacks.

Overall, both units have really, really good teams. Atlanta has the slight edge on offense but significantly trails when defending the ball. If the Falcons can jump out to an early lead which is too much for Brady to keep pace with, expect Matt Ryan to ensure Atlanta’s first Super Bowl victory. This is the ideal situation for head coach Dan Quinn’s Falcons, but hardly anything stays ideal in the biggest NFL game of the year. The Patriots’ defense should be well-prepared under head coach Bill Belichick (mind you, who is appearing in this 36th postseason game) and highly successful defensive coordinator Matt Patricia. Assuming the Patriots’ defense can do their job, Tom Brady should be able to bring yet another title back to New England.

In my prediction, New England wins it, but only slightly. Atlanta has been too good this season for them to only put up a mediocre performance. But you’ve got to give it to Brady and Belichick who have proven they know how to win.

Best of luck Atlanta!

Interesting stats:

Only five Super Bowls since 1970 have featured the top-scoring offense against the top-scoring defense. The top-scoring defense has won 4 out of 5 matchups.

Matt Ryan is 0-2 in his career against the Patriots.

Since 2002, every team in the NFC South has reached the Super Bowl. (Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2002, New Orleans Saints 2010, Carolina Panthers 2016)

A win for the Patriots would put them at 5-4 for the Super Bowl, one win shy of the most wins record held by the Steelers, but a loss would tie the Broncos for the most losses.

Dan Quinn is the previous defensive coordinator for the Seattle Seahawks, the team the Patriots beat in Super Bowl XLIX.