JTNN Online

Off campus lunch should be allowed

Miles Almadrones, Staff Writer

Okay, I completely understand why seniors were banned from leaving campus during lunch. I completely get it. Yes, we shouldn’t have competitions to see who can drive the furthest and back within 50 minutes. Irresponsible, dangerous, whatever, yes that’s a valid reason to not allow seniors off campus during their lunch period. With that being said…

That happened YEARS ago. That was clearly an irresponsible class that had no respect for safety or privileges. This class is clearly the opposite. How do I know that?

Well, I don’t. But everyone deserves a second chance, right?

I truly, genuinely believe that if our class was given the chance to go off campus for lunch, say exactly where they’re going, and arrive back at school before the period ends, we would be responsible students and not wrap ourselves and our cars around a tree.

Sure, the cafeteria has made modest improvements to the menu and food overall. Yes, we should appreciate their work to make us happier about the food we’re eating on a daily basis. But we should still be able to say “Oh well I don’t want burger pizza or I want chocolate ice cream,” and it’s perfectly logical to be allowed to buy our own lunch from a restaurant of our choosing!

Let’s think about it.

In less than a year, in only a few months, we’re going to have complete freedom to do whatever we want. We can go wherever we want for lunch every. single. day. What’s really changing between now and then? If the school expects us to be responsible adults in only a few months, why can’t we be trusted with adult responsibilities today?

Sure, the school doesn’t want to be liable for all the students leaving in the middle of the day. But if we sign out of school (leaving the school’s responsibility blanket), and agree to be responsible for ourselves, the school isn’t accountable for anything that happens. And if something stupid does happen, it should fall on the student, not the school.

Here’s another legitimate reason.

Aside from being dismissed from convocation first and not wearing ties, what privileges do seniors really have? Sure, we have priority over the younger grades and the advantages listed above. But it makes more sense to be given an even bigger, exclusive privilege. Don’t get me wrong, I love not wearing a tie every day, but being able to go off campus for lunch is an even better incentive to make it through all four years.

This leads me into my reasoning for why this is a realistic privilege which should be given:

In order to be allowed to leave campus for lunch, you can’t do or have done anything really stupid. By senior year, you should have proven you have what it takes to be trusted with that much freedom. And if anything happens which clearly shows you shouldn’t drive off campus unsupervised, then you won’t be allowed to buy your own lunch off campus. Fair. Square.

The seniors win by having an envious, useful privilege. The school wins by encouraging students to make smart decisions. The Tampa restaurants win by reaping the profits of hungry Jesuit students.

Your move, Jack Henry.