JTNN Online

Off Campus Lunch Should Not Be Allowed

Jack Henry Nouse, Broadcast Editor

A long time ago Jesuit seniors had the privilege of traveling off campus during lunch periods. It was a privilege granted to seniors by the administration knowing that there would be no way that we would abuse the privilege. A privilege, that however much I would enjoy, doesn’t make sense right now for many reasons.

The notion of leaving campus during lunch is not new to Jesuit. Many years ago (probably before Miles could read) Jesuit Seniors enjoyed the privilege of off-campus lunch. This privilege, however coveted, was abused by the seniors. Seniors would begin to compete with each other to see how far away one could drive in a single period, often resulting in speeding and most probably crashes. This was not appreciated by the administration. The senior class was warned and ultimately, that class ruined it for future classes to come. For the administration to reinstate this policy the senior classes would need to start showing more respect for the rules of the school.

Another question one needs to tackle is where would seniors go for lunch? When the policy was in place there were more food options readily available for seniors. Before it was the headquarters for the sad excuse Tampa calls an NFL team, (Is this too edgy?), One Buc Place used to be a shopping mall with a food court. Their seniors had easy access to a shopping mall that was close by with a variety of options. Today Panera tops the list of nearby quality restaurants. Ultimately Jesuit seniors would be forced to drive further away for good food, resulting in them being late to class if they didn’t properly manage their time.

Furthermore, the administration is working hard with the cafeteria to create a catering program that is more to the seniors liking. Personally, in my four years at Jesuit High School, I feel as if more thought, care, and effort is being put into the lunch program. More, healthier, and tastier options are being made available to the seniors. Hopefully in years to come the lunch program here at Jesuit will be the gold standard for cafeteria lunch programs.
Jesuit Seniors leaving the campus for lunch seems like an awesome concept. I would love to be able to drive off campus to get lunch, however, the senior class doesn’t need it, nor shows the responsibility to handle it. I am a firm believer in Ezekiel 18:20 “20 The one who sins is the one who will die. The child will not share the guilt of the parent, nor will the parent share the guilt of the child. The righteousness of the righteous will be credited to them, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against them.

20 The one who sins is the one who will die. The child will not share the guilt of the parent, nor will the parent share the guilt of the child. The righteousness of the righteous will be credited to them, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against them.”

— Ezekiel 18:20

However, as of right now, granting this privilege to seniors does not seem practical.