Fun at the Fair

February 16, 2017

This past Thursday the Florida State Fair welcomed its first attendees for the year. The fair is celebrating its 113th year with the introduction of many new and unique food vendors. You can find many different tasty treats from the infamous Krispy Kream Donut Burger to the mouth watering Grilled Mac n Cheese Sandwich. If you are trying to hold onto your New Year’s resolution of eating healthier you are still in luck. Along with all of the new foods, the state fair has introduced a new addition to its fleet of heart stopping rides; the largest mobile ferris wheel in North America.

Its stands a staggering 155 feet tall weighing close to 400,000 pounds. The ride was manufactured in the Netherlands only weeks prior to the opening of the fair.  If you were out at the fairgrounds on the opening weekend you were able to watch the assembly team finish installing the LED lighting system and spokes onto the wheel. After the long awaited completion, the ferris wheel was opened to the public mid-afternoon on Monday. According to the Tampa Bay Times the Midway Sky Eye is “composed of more than 500 pieces, the wheel required an 80-ton crane to construct it. The heaviest part is the center axle, weighing 6,600 pounds. Riders can see more than 15 miles from the top.” It is an outstanding experience at the top to be able to see from Land-o-Lakes all the way to Apollo Beach.

In addition to the Midway Sky Eye, a new Super Slide was introduced to this year’s fairgoers. For those who dare to ride down it, you will experience a much quicker and smoother trip down with an LED lit backdrop allowing for a picture perfect scene. If you log onto the fair’s website (floridastatefair.com) you can pre-order your tickets and wristbands to help cut down on your wait times once you arrive.