JTNN Online

Jesuit Lacrosse

Milky Doolittle, Staff Writer

Our Jesuit Lacrosse team are entering uncharted waters and have reached a point that no previous lacrosse team at Jesuit have reached before. The Jesuit Lacrosse team are currently 9-2 overall while 3-1 in district play. Already, one can see that this year’s team is very different than last’s. During the 2015-2016 season, the Tigers finished their season 13-11, but were unable to obtain the District Title. Fuelled by last year’s sub-par performance, the Tigers vowed to seize their opportunities this year and finish their season and postseason stronger.

The Tigers are riding high from two recent big wins against Maclay HS and Cardinal Mooney HS. Both these teams were ranked in the top #25 in the state and were considered top teams in the area. The Jesuit lacrosse team, viewed by other schools as a sleeper, is proving itself to be a top caliber team in the state and is truly earning the description of underdogs.

Despite having a slightly rough start to the season with consecutive losses to Berkeley Prep in double OT and to Barron Collier HS, the Tigers bounced back and since then, have won begun a 6 game win streak. The Tigers are looking to further the streak with a win against rival Plant High School. Plant is in the same district as Jesuit, so this game has double the value. Plant is currently perched in 1st place in the district with Jesuit close in 2nd. If the Tigers were to win the upcoming game, they would be obtain the first seed place for the district, thus making the District Playoffs much easier, giving Jesuit a better chance to advance to the Regionals Playoffs.

This turn of performance and subsequent success can attributed to a few key additions to the team with the return of some starters and previous stat leaders. The Tigers acquired  Under the leadership of new head coach Ryan Henry