JTNN Online

More Life album review

After teasing the public with his much anticipated album (or a playlist in his own words), Drake finally dropped More Life on March 18th on OVO Sound Radio. The album consists of 22 songs, all of which have different flows, beats, and styles. The album as a whole doesn’t really have an overarching message or theme which is why Drake considers it “a playlist with all original music.” In an interview with Billboard, Drakes collaborator, Nineteen85, said ” More Life is interesting because this is him right on the peak of his biggest project yet [with Views], doing his biggest tour and still having so many good ideas that he just wants to put out without making it a big ordeal. That’s why he’s trying to call it a playlist because he has a bunch of people in a space, hanging out… He’s so aware of what everybody else is doing musically that he likes to introduce new music and new artist to the rest of the world.” This isn’t the first time Drake has done something like this either. Multiple times before he’s featured or made songs with unknown artists in order to bring them fame. Drake did this with Migos in the “Versace Remix”, with Fetty Wap in “My Way”, and with ILoveMakonnen in “Tuesday”

In this new project, Drake introduces UK rapper Giggs, uses a lot of Caribbean and Jamaican slang, and uses beats and styles of many different international genres. Its apparent that Drake is reaching out further than just the U.S. and ids trying to appeal more to his international fan base. In fact, the term “More Life” is a Jamaican phrase used to wish someone else luck. The use of different international styles is best exemplified in the songs “Madiba Riddim” “Blem” “Passionfruit” and “Get it Together” which all have a more fast paced, summer island beat and style. Other songs like “Sacrifices” “Glow” and “Portland” bring together many mainstream rap artists like Quavo, Kanye, Young Thug, etc. to a few single songs. In my opinion, these are some of the worst songs on the album however it does show the power that Drake has to get all these artists together. Songs like “Do Not Disturb” and “Lose You” show that Drake hasn’t lost track of his old style that his American fan base is so used to. However, In “Free Smoke” “No Long Talk” and “Gyalchester” Drake shows a new side of his music that contrast greatly with his typical slow and sappy type of style. These songs impress me the most because Drake sounds more like a rapper (and a good one) than the usual international pop star that he is and always has been. The real question is whether he actually wrote the lines that he raps in those songs (probably not). There has been a lot of controversy surrounding the song “KMT.” This song was released to the public months before the album dropped from a video recorded at a Drake concert during the European part of his tour. As soon as the video surfaced on twitter, everyone immediately noticed the similarities between that song and “Look At Me!” by XXXTentacion. Fans and rap