JTNN Online

The Female Faculty Dress Code

woman standing over green chalkboard at the classroom; Shutterstock ID 110512700; PO: aol; Job: production; Client: drone

Shutterstock / Pindyurin Vasily

Shutterstock / Pindyurin Vasily

Dylan Field, Staff Writer

When I was a sophomore, I remember my class complaining to my English teacher about some of the school’s rules. Our main debate was about facial hair and how if teachers can grow beards the students should be able to also. My teacher brought up how the male teachers may be able to grow facial hair but they have to follow the dress code (even when the seniors don’t have to). This point then brought my class and I to the topic I’m about to discuss in this article: the female teachers’ dress code.

My teacher pointed out that the women in the faculty don’t really have a dress code and can pretty much wear whatever they want. This idea has been fairly interesting to me and has stuck with me today, my second semester of senior year. Even though I’m leaving Jesuit soon and this rule doesn’t even really affect me, I want to know is there a female dress code? If so, is it implemented well?

To get to the bottom of this question, I sat down and talked with one of the female teachers to hear from her point of view. To answer the question simply, yes, there is a dress code for all students and teachers, regardless of gender. The female dress code has been in the handbook since the early dawn of Jesuit. It wasn’t until recently, last summer to be exact, that the administration decided it was time to get serious and (re)lay down the rules of the dress code. Jesuit emailed the female faculty in July to clarify what is and isn’t acceptable to wear while teaching. The teachers were fine with abiding by the rules, but the late notice did make some of them feel rushed. Had the email been sent out in the beginning of summer or even before we left for break, the teachers would’ve had actual time to shop for new clothes. They didn’t mind getting new clothes, but a better heads up would have been ideal.

This actually hasn’t been the first time this event has happened. In the early 2000s a similar occurrence happened but that time the notice was when the teachers got back in August!

In the end, the new female dress code is not that big of an issue. Most of the teachers already follow the rules of what to wear and there’s never really been any issues.