JTNN Online

• March 164/21 Gaudiosa Holiday - No School

• March 163/24 Special Olympics

• March 163/28 School Mass - Wednesday of Holy Week

Can I Speak to the Manager?

Joshua Reynes, Editor

A new school year means new additions to life at Jesuit. For underclassmen, it may mean new teachers; for seniors, a new ping pong table that hasn’t been tarnished by senior classes come before; for faculty, a new class and/or classroom to teach in. But for all, the introduction of “Mosyle Manager” to school iPads have been the cause of major discussion between students and faculty alike.

“You guys were fighting with handguns and we just got tanks,” Theology Department teacher Mr. Shoup states. Mr. Shoup teaches the Class of 2021, the freshmen who are coming into an era where Manager has been there from square one. iPad management dawned in the 2016-2017 school in which the Apple-manufactured application Apple Classroom, was lightly suggested to be integrated into the daily workings of the school week. Mr. Lennox, of the Tech Department, mentioned the use of the now defunct AirWatch was tailored for businesses and not for classroom environments.

“They [the freshmen] think it’s the norm. . . I didn’t approach the app thinking ‘I’m taking your power away,’ I introduced it as classroom tailored and customized for each class.” Shoup elaborated. He expressed a great deal of acceptance for this new and unraveling classroom dynamic.

Señora Diaz (Language) said “. . . it is everything I’ve ever dreamed of.” Diaz, like most other teachers, has had trouble in the past with capturing the undivided attention of her class.

But some teachers have taken a rather orthodox approach this school year. Father Capuano S.J. has chosen not to use technology at all in his theology class. “I’m against the machines. . . I just know that you guys are a whole lot better than I am.”

Mosyle Manager has received a mixed reception from the student body. With feelings ranging from deep admiration to unflinching hate. Senior Jack Gianetti misses the FaceTime feature while Senior Christian Jung appreciates the fact that the app helps him learn.

For now, it seems that Mosyle Manager app is here to stay, as it increases productivity in the classroom by leaving distractions on the cutting room floor.