JTNN Online

• November 29Jesuit Soccer beats TC 3-1

• November 16Tigers Beat Jefferson To Advance to Football Regional Semis

O.J. on Parole, Weezer and Boybands (PAWPRINTS S1E1)

The revamped Jesuit student-ran podcast starts off with an O.J. Simpson themed episode.

The new senior co-hosts Chad Mellon and Joshua Reynes.

CREDIT: Joshua Reynes

CREDIT: Joshua Reynes

Orenthal James Simpson or “The Juice,” has been a rather polarizing pop culture figure. His coined “trial of the century” has been the topic of much discussion in the 90’s to now where most recently he was spoofed in Gal Gadot’s Saturday Night Live episode. In 2007, Simpson got into ties with the law for his armed robbery at Las Vegas and in October of 2017, he was released on parole. In the award-winning 2016 miniseries, The People vs. O.J. Simpson features a diverse array of music choices to highlight the landscape of 1990’s Los Angeles, with Beastie Boys’ “Sabotage” as the soundtrack to the infamous Ford Bronco car chase scene on the Californian highway.

In the premiere episode of Pawprints with J.Rey & Mello Mellon, we talk about O.J. how he has changed the pop culture landscape for better or worse, as well as how the pop culture landscape has changed from the 90’s to the 2010’s. The duo pondered what music O.J. listened to in the year of his robbery and what he will listen to in 2017. The 1990’s staple “dork rock” band Weezer has a discography that spans the time of OJ’s murder case (Pinkerton, The Blue Album), to his robbery (Beverly Hills), to his release with their upcoming album Pacific Daydream. With this, their inconsistency is most apparent when they try to experiment and keep up with modern sounds like electropop revival as heard through their lead single “Feels Like Summer,” losing the sweetness and Beach Boys-inspired sound composed in the nostalgic White Album. Mellon then introduced the L.A. based Vulfpeck, a favorite funk band of his, as a recent example of vintage and modern combining.

With having 2 new co-hosts for this revamped podcast, there have been many popular musical duos and groups from OJ’s time to the boyband framework that plagued the 1990’s and 2000’s. Yet in the recession era of ’07 and ’08, the boyband trend had died out in favor of acts like Soulja Boy, and Florida native Flo Rida. O.J., coming out of his parole, hopes to move to Naples, Florida. In 2017, the pop stream has transformed spawning hits from diverse genres like the Latin “Despacito” to synthetic, nocturnal trap hits like the headstrong Cardi B’s “Bodak Yellow” to Post Malone’s “Rockstar.” The new budding Florida music scene birthed various controversial figures from rappers like XXXtentacion to teen rap star Lil Pump, while on the internet, the Texas-based “all American boyband” Brockhampton of Viceland television network fame. We had figured O.J. be a more old soul so Mellon and I delved deep into the Naples radio network, and came to find a plethora of classic rock radio stations, we then came to the conclusion that O.J. would enjoy retro acts like Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Mello Mellon and J.Rey will return in a couple weeks for another edition of Pawprints where will take on more pop culture topics. Listen to the music featured in the show on the JTNN Spotify (LISTENER DISCRETION ADVISED: EXPLICIT LYRICS)