Skating to States: A Look into Jesuit Hockey

November 16, 2017

Jesuit hockey is off to an amazing start this year. With a record of 14-5-3, they are leading the Adreychuk Division of the Lightning High School Hockey League with a total of thirteen points. Both Nolan Forrest and Joshua Burke are off to hot starts this season, leading the team with eleven and thirteen points so far. I interviewed Nolan Forrest, a four year veteran of the team and asked him about the team this year.

Patrick: “As a four year veteran of the team this year, is this season looking to be the best one so far? Why or why not?”

Nolan: “In many ways, the team is much better than previous years. We are much more composed this year and our work ethic has greatly increased. The team as a whole has become much more disciplined than before. Last year we made it to the state final so we are aiming to replicate that this year.”

Patrick: “Who is your biggest rival this year?”

Nolan: “I’d say our biggest rival is East Lake. Their team is deep and they are for sure our toughest opponent each year. We always end up playing them in the playoffs and we are always in for a close fought game every time.”

Patrick: “How has the defense been this year?”

Nolan: “Under the command of my fellow classmate, Marc Kohlhepp, the defense has been phenomenal. His leadership and communication with the team have been remarkable and I’m sure he will continue to be great for the rest of the season.”

I also reached out to Deacon Moore and asked him about this season. Deacon is having a great season this year and has been a huge asset to the Jesuit defense this year.

Patrick: “What has been your most memorable game for you since you’ve started playing for Jesuit?”

Deacon: “Last year’s state final game was one of the best games I’ve ever played in. There was so much energy and it was such a big game, I loved it. I also enjoy when we play at Amalie Arena, every one of those games is so much fun because I’m a huge Lightning fan.”

Patrick: “How will the team be after you leave? Will we continue to have great success?”

Deacon: “I think that the team will be very strong for many years to come. I am looking forward to finishing strong this year and then watching Tiger Hockey continue to be strong after I leave.”

Every season Jesuit has always been able to put together an incredible team. This season will definitely set the bar for Burke and the other younger players. Jesuit plays next on Friday, November 3rd against Seminole (4-4-1). This matchup will be hard fought but Jesuit is expected to pull through under the leadership of Nolan Forrest and Joshua Burke. Jesuit is expected to go very far this year and will continue to have great success for many years to come. Jesuit last won on Wednesday night against Newsome 11-4.