JTNN Online

• November 29Jesuit Soccer beats TC 3-1

• November 16Tigers Beat Jefferson To Advance to Football Regional Semis

Netflix’s The Punisher, Will It Be The First Acceptable Representation of the Anti Hero?

Harrison Redd, Staff Writer

This marks the third time in an attempt on trying a standalone series/movie and to be honest the past two haven’t really impressed. The original Punisher move (“The Punisher” 2004) was shot here in Tampa in 2004 and featured Tampa scenic sites in Tampa such as much of downtown and the Regions building and it also featured the Sunshine Skyway bridge. The film starred Thomas Jane as Frank Castle/The Punisher, John Travolta as Howard Saint (the main antagonist), and even featured the prominent WWE superstar Kevin Nash making a surprise appearance as The Russian. Overall Jane was a good Punisher but the rest of the film had a fairly boring element to it. The plot seemed to drag on monotonously. Then came along the sad excuse for a move in Punisher: War Zone (2008), which was plain and simply awful, with the only gem being Ray Stevenson’s portrayal of the psychopath.

Netflix, under a recent collaboration with Marvel, has released original series like Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and The Defenders (which encompasses all of the previous shows). This will be Netflix’s sixth original Marvel Series. We got a sneak peek at the way Jon Bernthal portrayed The Punisher, in Season 2 of Marvel’s “Daredevil”. Jon Bernthal joined Chalie Cox (Matt Murdoch/Daredevil) in an honestly awesome and entertaining Season 2 of Daredevil, which I thought was better than Season 1. Jon Bernthal, most famously known by comic fans for portraying Shane in AMC’s “The Walking Dead”. Jon Bernthal, from what we have seen in Daredevil Season 2, seems to look like a solid Punisher, hitting the fine line between pure Psychopath and Anti-Hero, which is how Frank Castle or The Punisher is portrayed in the comics.

A little bit of a background on the character, Frank Castle a former combat veteran starts working with a top secret organization, and becomes too involved to the point where the organization wants to kill him, but instead of killing just him, they kill his wife and two small children, which he watches happen right in front of him. Mixing PTSD from combat experience in which he even details that he saved his whole platoon, and the fact that he watched his family murdered right in front of him, turns Frank Castle into a psychopathic killer where he kills any criminal in his way. Frank Castle also makes it his goal to kill anybody involved in the slaughtering of his family. This sets Frank Castle on a rampage of murdering all criminals he hunts down that he believes has a connection to his family’s death.

Netflix’s “The Punisher” is set to premiere on Friday, November 17th, 2017, be sure to stay tuned for my review coming soon.