The Streak Lives On

November 9, 2017

If you live in the Tampa Bay Area, you know that the biggest high school football rivalry in the 813 is a school on Himes Avenue and the school on Rome. On November 3rd, 2017 the Jesuit Tigers faced the Tampa Catholic Crusaders once again. Before game day, the hype from both sides was in full force, specifically between members from blue tide and the members that make up the green locos. On Twitter all week there was trash talk from both sides. TC thought this was the year that they would finally break the streak of 17 years. With TC’s record being better than the tigers, it was easy to fall into the trap of thinking that this was the year that the streak would break and the Tigers would finally fall.

Even though the Crusaders took on the nickname the donuts factory because in their games before Jesuit they held opposing offenses to zero points. This is just another reason that some might have thought that this was the year that TC would prevail. The reason being the loss of Malik Davis in the backfield for the Tigers, the odds were against Jesuit. Malik ended up being the all-time leading rusher in Hillsborough County last year. Despite the adversity the Tigers face every year, we always find a way to fight through adversity and they always find a way to beat the crusaders year in and year out. Different year, the same result as the Tigers beat the Crusaders 35-7. It might seem like the Tigers had momentum on their side the whole game but at half the score was actually tied up at 7.

It all started to open up in the third quarter when freshman Ricky Parks came off of a 43-yard run that ended up resulting in a touchdown. From there the Tigers did not let up on the gas, this led to sophomore Jonathan Odom receiving two touchdown passes. One thrown by freshman quarterback Enzo Todesco and one thrown by playmaker Larry Hodges. To close the game, Larry Hodges had a touchdown of his own by sprinting his way into the end zone to put the game completely out of reach for the Crusaders. The Tigers are now going to the playoffs once again. They will face Jefferson on the road at Jefferson on Friday, November 10th. Hopefully, the Tigers can take last weeks performance and dominate this week.