USMNT Fails To Make World Cup: Biggest Failure In US Sports History?

November 27, 2017

The last time the United States Men’s National Team did not qualify for the World Cup was on May 31, 1986. Since that date, it has been 31 years since the United States has not qualified. That’s 11,456 days of work, blood, sweat, and tears for a sport that’s come so far in a country that hasn’t fully accepted it. All of that is gone now. With the United States’ dreadful 2-1 loss to Trinidad and Tobago on the final day of CONCACAF’s qualifying hexagonal for the 2018 World Cup, next summer’s tournament will not feature the USMNT. With this loss, has the USMNT really given the nation the lowest point in its sporting history? Well, in my opinion, not really.

There have been bigger humiliations and embarrassments in United States sports history other than soccer. For example, in Super Bowl XLVII, The New York Giants upset the New England Patriots 17-14. The Patriots were supposed to be really good that year but the Giants came back and won the game. Other big embarrassments include The Seattle Seahawks Defeat the Denver Broncos 43-8 to Win Super Bowl XLVII. Since soccer is not America’s biggest sport, I feel that this loss is not really as big of an embarrassment as people are making it out to be. America’s most popular sport is baseball though. So if baseball was an Olympic sport right now, and played many other countries and lost to some of the lowest two countries, it would probably be the biggest embarrassment in United States sports history.

Now I’m not saying that soccer is not big in the United States, soccer has gained its popularity over the years. Being in the World Cup would gain the USMNT the popularity they are searching for. Winning the World Cup would bring much more popular to the United States lots of recognition to the men’s soccer team. Like I said, this is the first time in 31 years that the United States has failed to make World Cup qualifications, so I can see why people would say that this is the biggest embarrassment in US sports history. Some people may agree that this is a big embarrassment, but it is not the biggest. I am not sure what the biggest one would be because there are many sports going on in the United States, but it would probably have to do with something about America’s favorite past time, which is baseball. But in my opinion, no this is not the most embarrassing feat in the United States’ sports history.