Jesuit Soccer: Kicking All the Way to States

November 27, 2017

Futbol, Soccer, whatever you want to call it, Jesuit has a strong team this year, with added depth there is another shot at the state title for Jesuit Tiger Soccer. While I haven’t gotten to see any play the members of the team are confident in their capabilities to make a real run at the state title. With two wins under their belt, one against Seminole and another against Calvary Christian the team is off to a good start. “We’re pretty good this year and I think we can go all the way,” says senior walk-on Jake Iacovella on the Tiger’s 6-0 win against Seminole. The next game is away versus North Port High School Tuesday, November 21.

The main team that worries the Tigers every year is Merritt Island who we lost to last year in the regional finals in a 6-7 PK shootout. Merritt Island is basically what American Heritage is to our football team. With school choice being allowed in public schools it will be interesting to see what Merritt Island’s team will consist of if anything I would guess that they will be drawing from a larger area and have more skilled players this year.

With regards to the Tigers roster this year we have lost 13 seniors since last year but new senior Jake Iacovella adds depth to our defense. With Jesuit not winning the district title in all but two seasons, it is safe to assume we will make it past districts if momentum is kept up. Regions is always a struggle with Merritt Island but in the 2015-16 season, the Tigers defeated Merritt when Noah Kurtz, who was a sophomore at the time, scored an overtime goal. This year the Tiger Soccer team is hungry to win the state title and it will be interesting to see how the season pans out.