JTNN Online

• January 19Varsity Basketball vs. Jefferson

• January 18Jesuit Intramurals

• January 16Varsity Basketball vs. Spoto

The Stress of Acceptance

Harrison Redd, Staff Writer

The stress of college applications, any senior or junior in high school reading this knows and feels exactly what I am talking about. Most Jesuit seniors will have either submitted applications to college or are currently working on them. Seniors will experience feelings of anger, frustration, nervousness, desperation, excitement, anxiety, and depression at this time.

The issue starts with how a senior chooses to go about handling college applications. If procrastination is involved, it is almost certain that it makes the process much more stressful than it already is. Procrastination doesn’t make any sense when in the college application process, with the stress level high enough already. Another aspect of this can be the competitiveness of the process. Nowadays, going to college is seen as a necessity in life to be successful. The belief that a college degree is necessary for success in life has made getting into a good college harder than it was 30 years ago. This has made getting into the nation’s top schools like Harvard and other Ivy League Schools nearly impossible without a perfect application.

Then comes the breakdown of the emotions, college applications can be one of the most exciting and dreadful times in a person’s life nowadays. The idea of going away and being on your own, making decisions for yourself, and living on your own seems very attractive to a lot of seniors. Seniors see this as such a great opportunity due to the fact that they don’t have to financially support themselves, but at the same time are able to live on their own.

Anybody applying for college has experienced pressure from parents and/or guardian about getting into good colleges, and how going to college is required for success.

Jesuit Senior Peter Cevallos says “Ever since I was in 2nd grade my parents have told me I must get into UF'”.

This is a great example of how parents and/or guardians add unneeded and unwanted stress to the college application process. This extra pressure is counterproductive to the application process.

The key during these stressful times is to keep a positive mentality. Keeping a positive mentality allows for optimism and hope. If you keep positive about colleges that may be harder to get into, you allow yourself to build a level of confidence for when you are completing applications. Such confidence may stick out on college applications. Remember to keep an open mind on the colleges you want to aply to and eventually attend.