Jesuit Lacrosse Preview

February 6, 2018

The early history of the Jesuits in North America is intertwined with the development of lacrosse. Originated by native North Americans, in 1636 the Jesuit missionary Jean de Brebeuf, S.J. fine-tuned and adapted lacrosse for French pioneers in Canada. A few centuries later, after several years as a club sport, Jesuit High School’s lacrosse team began Florida High School Athletic Association play as a Varsity sport in the spring of 2012. Heading into 2018 under 2nd-year head coach Ryan Henry, the Tigers have won three District titles in five years. Jake Lemon ’18 (27 goals, 38 assists in 21 games in 2016) and Joe McGonnigal ’18 (37 goals, 10 assists) are the leading returning scorers, Seth Cashen ’18 (19 takeaways in 2016) and Cade Myers ’19 (46 ground balls) are among the top defenders. This season is lining up to be very successful as the team is stacked with talent.

Two seniors have committed for lacrosse, Jake Lemon and Seth Cashen have both committed to playing lacrosse on the college level. Tampa Jesuit’s standout middie, Jake Lemon, has committed to Canisius. Jake plays club lacrosse for 3d Colorado and Brady’s Bunch. Canisius is a Jesuit university in Buffalo, NY. The Golden Griffins play NCAA DI lacrosse in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC.) Seth will be playing for Bellarmine University in Louisville, KY. Both will be great additions to their teams.

I interviewed Jake Lemon to get an inside look into Jesuit’s upcoming season:

Patrick: How is the team shaping up to be this season?

Jake: The team is shaping up to be very good this season. We have some great upper classmen who will hold the team together and also have some younger guys that will contribute a lot.

Patrick: What does the team do to prepare for each season?

Jake: We prepare by having a club team in the fall that goes to a couple tournaments and also having team lifts and conditioning sessions. We prepare a lot and it helps us succeed each season.

Patrick: What will be your toughest matchup?

Jake: Our toughest matchup will probably be either Plant or Cardinal Mooney due to the fact that we are evenly matched with both of them. Our rivalry’s are very strong with both of those teams. They will be hard fought games for sure.

Patrick: Tell me about Canisius, how is their team?

Jake: Canisius is a mid level D1 team that has usually makes the conference tournament each year. I am really looking forward to being on the team this year.

Patrick: Favorite memory from your four years of Jesuit Lacrosse?

Jake: My favorite memory from my four years of Jesuit lacrosse is wining a district championship as a freshman. We haven’t won since but we’re pretty confident with our team this year.

Jesuit’s first match will be against Strake Jesuit on February 13th. Hopefully the Tigers can take home another district championship and excel this season. With talent going deep on the team, Coach Henry should be able to have another excellent season.

Check out a photo gallery below with some pictures of Jesuit Lacrosse in action!