Pen to Paper: Signing Day 2018

February 9, 2018

As Signing day arrives, high school athletes are eager to sign with a college. Signing day was February 7th this year. The athletes that are ready to take the next step are the following: Anthony Nelson, Braden Gilby, Brendenn Flynn, Kendrick Torain, Nick Terrana and Noah Kurtz.

Anthony has 25 total offers from schools such as Washington State and Tulane. Although he holds those offers, Anthony committed to Harvard in July. He is now ready to make his commitment official by signing on the 7th.

Another football player that is ready to sign is linebacker Braden Gilby. Braden committed to Furman University in September. He held offers from schools such as the Air Force Academy, Army West Point, Bowling Green University, Columbia University, and Troy University.

Brendenn Flynn is going to be heading up north to Lawrence University in Wisconsin to continue his football career. Brendenn came public with his commitment in November after taking a visit to the university.

The student that hasn’t made up his mind yet about where he will be attending next year is three-star defensive back Kendrick Torain. Kendrick was a former UCLA pledge but backed off his commitment in November. Since then he has visited the hometown USF Bulls and Louisville Cardinals. Torain was believed to be leaning towards the Nebraska Cornhuskers after an offer came in with his name on it in late December. But the Duke blue devils and the NC State Wolfpack have been giving Kendrick a lot of attention as of late. The attention has not gone unnoticed on the campus of Jesuit high school. NC State’s football staff has been on campus quite often in the past week or so. The same can be said about the Blue Devils. Not only have both schools been at school with Torain they both have gone inside his house to talk about there plan for him at the next level. Kendrick has posted pictures of both schools during his in-home visits with the coaches. Duke is the school ahead of the rest of his services on the football field. Kendrick’s recruitment is the talk around campus as we wait for him to make a decision of where he will be attending the next three to four years of college.

The last student that will sign his national letter of intent will be linebacker Nick Terrana. Nick’s recruiting process has blown up as of recent. With in-home visits from Rhode Island and Southern Illinois. After the visits, Nick decided to commit earlier this week to Southern Illinois University.

Noah is the only soccer player signing on the 7th. He is a soccer star that is staying close to home. He will be playing in Tampa, at UT. This takes a lot of weight off of Noah’s shoulders as Jesuit’s soccer team makes a run at states.

The following athletes are looking forward to signing and to start a new chapter in their lives. February 7th will be a day of joy with family and friends in the audience to witness the signing of their loved ones. Signing day will take place at Jesuit in the morning before school starts. It will either be held in the front office or in the MPR. Come out and watch these athletes continue their athletic careers playing the sport they love.

Check out a slideshow of signing day below!