Trump Tariffs Tighten Tensions

April 18, 2018

The issue between China and the United States has been going on longer than most people think. In fact, according to CNN.com, a potential trade war between the US and China has been brewing for almost a year. The definition of tariffs according to google is that it is a tax on imports or exports between sovereign states. As a teenager that is from and lived in American, I know that almost everything that you buy is made from China. This is a problem now because of the Tax that is being placed on these items that are coming in and going out of the United States. This means that now with this new tax law, these products that you see in the stores of the United States will no longer say made in China because of the new law that is being put in place. I personally am for this idea of taxing China. We are placing a new agreement with a country that we owe trillions of dollars too. What is better than owning a country an insurmountable amount of money and you now get money from them because of what you have and what they want. We send tons of goods to them as they do the same with us. With Trump trying to change the face of America and how it is viewed by others,  this new tactic is hopefully going to bring in more money for the red, white and blue.

The following dates have been pulled from money.cnn.com.

It all started on November 8th, 2016. On this date, the United States decided to elect Donald Trump as the new president of our country. Shortly after his inauguration, in fact, exactly five months after the election took place in April of 2017, Trump decided to launch an investigation into steel imports. From that day on the next big story to come out between the two sides was in August of 2017, this is when Donald Trump set his sights on another investigation tightening the screws on China. Since the threatening happened the rest of the 2017 year was quite between both China and the United States. The disagreement between the two started back up in January of 2018 when tax started to be placed on solar panels and then washing machines. The next step towards trade war was the next month when in February of 2018, Commerce Department proposes tariffs. This is the main problem between the two sides. The next thing that happened was on March 9, 2018, president Trump imposes tariffs on steel imports. The last couple of days have been filled with a lot of drama. The issue has been a popular topic to talk about. On April 2nd, 2018 China hits back. Then the next day, April 3rd, US threatens to target another $50 billion in Chinese goods. On the 4th of April, China warns of tariffs on another $50 billion in American goods. The most recent news comes on the April 5th, 2018. On this specific date, Trump calls for targeting another $100 billion in Chinese goods.