Homecoming Week

November 2, 2018

With every homecoming comes a week of festivities, excitement, and, of course, plenty of eccentric costumes. From dress-downs in school to beat-downs on the football field, homecoming week is always an enjoyable time for students, faculty, and alumni alike.

The week kicked off on Monday, October 22nd, when students were encouraged to go through their dad’s closet or the nearest thrift store to find some tacky apparel. On Tuesday, students wore the costume of a character from their favorite book or movie, but anime was off limits. Wednesday was Twinsday; in reality, it was a free dress day due to the general lack of willingness to coordinate outfits. The last theme for the week was on Thursday when students donned their favorite sports jerseys.

Despite the excitement surrounding the bulk of the week because of the hiatus from the normal dress code, the real highlight came on Friday. The yearly Fun Day activities, including the dodgeball tournament and a room dedicated to video games, kicked off in the morning and lasted until the early afternoon. The new addition of the Spikeball tournament introduced another opportunity for involvement on campus and putting money towards a good cause. The money raised every year through donations and entries into tournaments goes towards the Thanksgiving Food Drive, a schoolwide fundraiser with the goal of providing Thanksgiving meals for local families. This year brought the same level of generosity as students happily participated in the variety of events held on campus.

The event that consistently garners the most attention among the student body is the dodgeball tournament. This year, Big Brust Business, led by my fellow staff member Jovan Deeb and Student Council Treasurer Mitchell Johnson, emerged victoriously. In the final game of the student tournament, BBB defeated the Goonies in an epic best-of-three match. That was not the end of the dodgeball fun, however. Following tradition, the student champions faced off against a team consisting of teachers. Regulars like Mr. LoSauro and Coach Kaiser joined forces with some Jesuit newcomers and managed to take down Big Brust Business in a thrilling winner-takes-all showdown.

On Friday night, the football team took on Middleton High School, a district game that, in all honesty, never really has to be played. Jesuit’s dominance stretched another year by way of a 42-7 victory, orchestrated by a dominant defense and an unstoppable run game. The homecoming court was introduced at halftime, as was the much-anticipated announcement of the homecoming queen. This year, Academy senior Myah Rhines, accompanied by Student Council President Andrew Kynes, won the vote among Jesuit students. Senior Night festivities also took place, as the senior football players, cheerleaders, and pep band members from both Jesuit and the Academy of the Holy Names were recognized before the game.

All of the fun throughout the week was in celebration and preparation for the homecoming dance on Saturday. This year, the dance was held at the TPepin’s Hospitality Centre, a venue which received great reviews from those who attended. In contrast, the music that was played during the dance was, according to the vast majority of students, not as enjoyable. Songs like “The Cupid Shuffle”, “YMCA”, “Party in the USA”, and “The Cha Cha Slide” highlighted a playlist that generally wasn’t very appreciated by those in attendance. Despite that, there was a general sense of relief that at least this year, there weren’t any feces on the dance floor.

Another successful homecoming week is in the books for Jesuit High School, and the student body is already looking forward to another great one next year.