JTNN Online

Joaquin Phoenix’ New Joker

Back to Article
Back to Article

Joaquin Phoenix’ New Joker

Matt Farley, Staff Writer

Joaquin Phoenix is set to bring the infamous character, the Joker, back onto the big screen with an upcoming Joker origin story film. The last time this role was filled was in 2016 by Jared Leto, frontman of rock band 30 Seconds to Mars, in the poorly received Suicide Squad. Before that, the character was a part of the Christopher Nolan trilogy, featuring Christian Bale as Batman. In 2008, the Joker role was filled in The Dark Knight by Heath Ledger. Heath Ledger’s performance was critically acclaimed and even won him an Academy Award for best supporting actor after his death during filming. The Dark Knight was the first superhero movie to win a major Oscar and is known as one of the best-received superhero movies of all time. With all of this being said, does Joaquin Phoenix have what it takes to revive the Joker character? 

Joaquin Rafael Phoenix, born Joaquin Rafael Bottom, is a 43-year-old critically acclaimed actor who was born in San Juan, Puerto Rico. After moving to America, he took up the last name Phoenix, and quickly followed in the footsteps of his older siblings, he took to street performing in order to financially provide for his family. After his career took off he was featured in movies like Gladiator and Walk the Line, in which he received a Golden Globe Award in the category of Best Actor for his portrayal of the late Johnny Cash. Phoenix even picked up a Grammy Award for his extraordinary performance for the soundtrack. Leading into his role as the joker, Phoenix grew out the Joker’s infamous long shaggy hair but has taken a different approach with his wardrobe. Before dawning the green hair and white makeup, Phoenix put on a basic brown cardigan over a collared shirt and a hooded light brown jacket and trousers based off released production photos. Not quite the look of a terrifying madman, right? Well, earlier this week, Phoenix’s casting tape was released showing what he would look like with Joker makeup on and it is eerie. His sudden change of facial expression with no transition from a smile to frown is extremely unsettling. Our first in action look at Phoenix as the Joker is in the midst of chaos in a subway. Not following the usual makeup of the comic books, it seems Phoenix has taken a tip from Ledger and is doing the Joker’s face paint his own way. Phoenix barrels out of a subway car smiling as people run in all directions from him. 

The film is supposedly going to take us on a different path in the DC Comics world showing us the Joker’s origin. Although in the comics Joker’s actual origin is never declared, due to the fact the insane criminal Joker tells a different story every time he is asked. This adds an element of mystery and even fear due to the unknown. The movie could possibly take a deeper look at the Joker’s true origin, or it could be yet another twisted version of what the Joker makes up to the people of Gotham. Fans are hoping to get a movie in which they get to watch what causes the snap of a man’s mind and his devolution into the insane Clown Prince of Crime.